Schools in Macomb County, which has no mask mandate for educators and students, have a dramatic pandemic surge.
A weekly state update lists 484 new cases in 23 buildings there, up from 32 cases at eight schools the previous week -- 15 times as many Covid infections among students and staff in the past seven days.
Fifteen high schools account for 72 percent of new Macomb cases. Six high schools have 20-28 cases and these five have more:
Eisenhower High, Shelby Township: 53 students and staff
Stevenson High, Sterling Heights: 45 students and staff
Romeo High, Washington: 35 students
Anchor Bay High, Fair Haven: 33 students and staff
Warren Woods Tower High: 30 students and staff
The Detroit News has mask policy context:
Eight of the county's 21 districts have some mask rules, while 13 others remain mask-optional. ...
Eisenhower and Stevenson are in the Utica Community Schools district, which has no mask mandate.
The Michigan Department of Health lists only "outbreaks" of at least three cases per school, so the number of new infections likely is higher.
Lansing health officials on Monday also report 11 new cases in pupils at three Detroit elementary schools and 20 cases among students and staff at three middle schools in Wayne County suburbs. (Each site is listed below.) Oakland County had no new outbreaks of three or more cases this past week.
Macomb has by far the largest number of new clusters among 101 reported statewide Monday. The suburban Detroit county accounts for 56 percent of the 858 Michigan school "outbreak" cases since Oct. 11.
Locally, Macomb accounts for a spike in Metro Detroit school clusters since last week's tally of 57 new Covid diagnoses at 13 schools in the tricounty region.
Here are the six Wayne schools listed and the 18 others in Macomb not mentioned above:
- Detroit Leadership Academy: 4 elementary pupils
- Gesu Catholic School, Detroit: 4 elementary pupils
- Henderson Academy, Detroit: 3 elementary pupils
- All Saints Catholic School, Canton Township: 10 middle school students
- Howe Montessori, Dearborn Heights: 6 middle school students and staff
- Creative Montessori Academy, Southgate: 4 middle school students
- Romeo Middle School: 30 students and staff
- Henry Ford II High, Sterling Heights: 28 students and staff
- L'Anse Creuse High School North, Macomb Township: 25 students and staff
- Malow Junior High, Shelby Township: 25 students and staff
- L'Anse Creuse Middle School East, New Baltimore: 22 students and staff
- Roseville High: 21 students and staff
- Utica High: 21 students and staff
- Richmond High: 21 students and staff
- Beck Elementary, Macomb Township: 20 students and staff
- Michigan Collegiate High, Warren: 16 students and staff
- Lake Shore High, St. Clair Shores: 10 students and staff
- Cousino High, Warren: 9 students
- Wolfe Middle School, Center Line: 7 students
- Steeland Elementary, Roseville: 6 pupils and staff
- St. Peter Lutheran, Macomb Township: 5 elementary pupils and staff
- Green Acres Elementary, Warren: 3 pupils
- Shelby Junior High, Shelby Township: 3 students